Friday, May 25, 2007

Preparations 1: Logistics

How does one prepare for a trek?

“Practice, practice, practice,” is certainly one part of it. Cousineau (The Art of Pilgrimage) writes, “Being ready mentally, spiritually, and physically makes us lighter on our feet, more adroit at making decisions, and perhaps can even keep chaos at bay.” In the coming weeks I will write more about my mental, spiritual, and physical practices. Today, as I prepare to leave on a weekend retreat, I want to focus on the logistics.

Aaron is a wonderful host for all of these events. Once we arrive in India, all of our arrangements are taken care of. There are no concerns about transportation, lodging, etc. We already have a list of what to bring (ranging from fleece pants to shorts) and what not to bring (the hair dryer and electric razor).

I have made my flight arrangements (it is a direct flight from Newark to Delhi), and recently received my new passport. (If you haven’t seen them, the new passports do everything but sing the Star Spangled Banner. Every page displays an etching of a different scene of Americana.)
In June I will apply for my visa, I will also see my physician regarding any shots that I will need. And, I will start to provision from the list we have been provided. The top item will be the hiking shoes, which will need to be well broken in prior to departing.

July will be time enough to start really stock-piling the film I will need. My digital camera is fine for color, but I will be carrying the 35 mm film camera for black and white.

I think the logistics bases are covered.

No comments: