Sunday, July 22, 2007

Of Rumi, and Harry Potter

When was the last time you read a book twice? I honestly don’t recall when I have, though I am sure it has occurred. Most probably, it was a business-related text of some sort.

This weekend was one that became about reading a book twice. In fact, it was my second, and third, readings of the same book. Chasing Rumi by Roger Housden, is subtitled, A Fable About Finding the Heart’s True Desire. Set in the 1950’s, it is the story of Georgiou, an Italian of Greek descent, who goes on a pilgrimage to Konya. Konya is the Turkish city in which Rumi met Shams, the city in which Shams was murdered by Rumi’s jealous students, and the city in which Rumi wrote his poetry.

In part, I am sure that it is the parallel between my own upcoming pilgrimage and that of Georgiou that drew me in so deeply. (“Georgiou would go because his heart said so, without needing the words to say why,” p. 21). I, too, do not have the words to say why I am making this trip, even now, five weeks before I leave and after many months of contrmplation and preparation. In part, I am sure, it is the words and wisdom or Rumi that whisper off the pages to me. Perhaps it is also the hope that my pilgrimage, like Georgiou’s, will reveal itself both at the destination, and upon the return. And, finally, perhaps it is that it is a fascinating fable.

There is much of Chasing Rumi that will be transcribed into my Pilgrim’s Bible in the coming weeks, and that will accompany me on the trek.

As for Harry Potter? The final book in the series was released this weekend. I have read the previous six, and will, I am sure, read this one as well. Chances are, I will only read it once.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Hi Brian,

I was searching for 'Phil Cousineau' and 'Pilgrimage' and found your blog - a moment of synchronicity Phil would be proud of -
A photographer called Brian reading Phil Cousineau about to set off on a journey!
I leave in 3 weeks - I've negotiated a one-year career break and am off to Asia: one of my 'pilgrimages' is to the sacred mountains of China, and instead of yoga I hope to improve my tai chi skills and hopefully find the direction for the rest of my life.
I'll follow your journey with interest - you read the same authors as me (Housden, Cousineau, Rumi, Cameron, and er....JK Rowling...), and it seems like we're on the same path.
I look forward to seeing your photos from India - hope you capture some soulful moments!
Best wishes
Brian