Sunday, February 10, 2008

Returning Home

Two of the people with whom I work at Conner Partners have recently moved from Atlanta to Myrtle Beach. The rationale for the move was the same in each case. “Why should I live somewhere that I don’t want to be, and then ‘go on vacation’ to where I do want to be spending my time? “

Coming home, I have Sima’s recommendation in mind. What will I do that is special, so that I will not feel the inevitable post-vacation letdown? I had thought about this on and off throughout the trip. It is only on my return home that I know the answer. I will resume the life that I live each day. It is just the life that I want to live. It has its own routine, its own rhythm. It is filled with simple pleasures: the fresh-ground coffee; the fresh-squeezed juice; yoga; meditation; time with family; time with friends. I make pictures, and find joy in the pictures I have made. Each morning I greet the sunrise through my windows as it begins to light the skyline of New York City. Each night I go to sleep with the moon and the stars shining through my skylights onto my bed. Several times a week I shop for fresh produce, vegetables, meat, chicken, and/or fish. Monday through Friday I am up at five to begin my yoga practice. Saturday or Sunday I am at the yoga studio, celebrating the balance that I have found in my life.

The first Tuesday I am home, I return to the gym, and to my training with Mitchel. We had scheduled my return before I left; we had also scheduled a dinner in the place of my training on Thursday night. By Thursday, I know my new training goal, and I lay it out to Mitchel. As we age, we loose balance, we loose flexibility, and we loose agility. My goal is to do a split at the age of 60. This week I ask Mitchel whether, as my trainer, he will be demonstrating the split when it comes time for me to practice. He smiles. He will be ready.

I may never do a split. In some ways, whether or not I do is irrelevant. When I reach 60, I will be more flexible, agile, and balanced than I am today. (Because of the way that Mitchel and I train, I will also have greater cardio-vascular capacity and be physically stronger.) That alone will be cause to celebrate. It is about the journey!

This is my last entry in this blog. I thank each of you for joining me on my journey.

Namaste

2 comments:

Linda Gottschalk said...

Brian - So glad you are home and continuing to set goals for the future. You are an inspiration! We will miss your blog, thank you for sharing with us. Linda G.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.